Parents and community
Family involvement and engagement is a key feature of Catholic schools.
As the first educators of your children, you have a great influence on your children’s learning and development during their school years and long afterwards.
We all know that when parents are involved in their children’s education at home, they do better in school. And when parents are involved in school, children go farther in school and the schools they go to are better.
One of the ways that you can become involved in your child's school is by joining the Parents and Friends Association. It is often referred to as the P&F.
Role of the P&F
P&Fs are guided by a constitution and participate in the spiritual, intellectual, social and physical growth of pupils in Catholic schools by
- providing support, information and involvement for parents/carers in children’s learning and the school community ie building community
- developing collaboration between parents/carers and school staff
- promoting the principles of Catholic education
- fostering a distinctive Christian environment in the school
- providing a medium for parents/carers to participate at Diocesan, State & National levels
School P&F roles
- Vice president
- Two Diocesan delegates
- Committee members (the number is determined by each school's P&F constitution - contact your principal to find out more)
Working with the Diocesan P&F Council
The Council's role is to provide support, information, guidance and encouragement to each of the 31 local associations and Toowoomba Catholic Schools Office.
In addition, it plans and organises seminars and conferences and supports the work of Catholic School Parents Queensland.
Each of our 31 local associations is urged to actively participate in the Diocesan Council and is entitled to representation on the Diocesan Council by nominating two delegates from each school.
At the State level our Diocese is represented by two delegates from the Diocesan Council. Opportunities for other members to be observers at State meetings are available.
Find out how to get involved
If you are interested in discovering more on how you can become involved please talk to your local principal to find out what is happening in your school and the names of local P&F members.
We also encourage you to visit the Catholic School Parents Queensland website.